Skip To Main Content

Work Permit Information

UPDATE: Effective July 1, 2023, Nathan Hale High School will no longer have access to do work permits. The Department of Workforce Development is requiring all work permits to be completed online. Please click here to access that link. 
A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work. Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.
How to Obtain a Work Permit
To obtain a work permit, either the minor alone or the minor and a parent must visit the office taking with them:
  • the minor's birth certificate or other (listed below)
    • A verified baptismal certificate
    • A driver’s license or photo ID card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation
  • the minor's social security card
  • letter from the employer expressing intent to hire, on employer's letterhead, describing:
    • job duties
    • hours of work
  • written parents' consent
  • $10.00 permit fee  (The employer must reimburse the $10.00 permit fee to the minor by no later than the date of the first paycheck. Copies of the permit go to the employer and the minor, in addition to the school district where the minor is enrolled).
Employment of Minors-2017 Wisconsin Act 11
Law Change - Effective June 23, 2017
Changes to Wisconsin's child labor law remove the requirement that 16- and 17-year-old minors obtain work permits prior to beginning work. This law also changes the terminology to be used and refers to the "employment of minors" instead of "child labor."
Effective June 23, 2017,
  • 16- and 17-year-old minors do NOT need to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work. Work permits will not be issued for minors ages 16 or 17.
  • This law makes no changes to the requirements for minors younger than 16. Minors younger than 16 must obtain a work permit prior to beginning work, unless an exception applies.